Mac and Cheese Muffins
By Kathy Gunst
- Non-Fat Milk
- Low-Fat Cheese
- Bread Crumbs
Before You Begin
Fill the muffin tin with paper liners.
Adult: Preheat the oven to 350°.
1. Adult: Boil salted water in a large pot. Add 1/2 pound of macaroni and cook until it is almost tender (about 8 minutes). Drain and set aside.
2. Adult: Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle in 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour. Stir for 2 minutes. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups of milk. Whisk the sauce for 4-5 minutes or until it is thick enough to coat a spoon. Remove the pan from the stove.
3. Add 1 cup of grated cheese into the white sauce. Stir until the sauce is smooth. Add some salt and pepper.
4. Add the macaroni, 1/3 cup of bread crumbs, and a little more salt and pepper. Stir well.
5. Put the mixture into 12 muffin cups. Adult: Bake for 8 minutes.